Home Forums Frequently Asked Questions Problems getting my son diagnosed with Autism Re: Problems getting my son diagnosed with Autism

Post count: 32

Hi Lucy, Carol says that you do not need a formal diagnosis to get a statement and that you, rather than the school, should make a ‘parental request for a statutary assessment for a Statement of Special Educational Needs’,in writing. There are then guidelines for them as to the timescales in which they need to respond and they can’t ‘fob you off’. A sample letter and some info can be found here: http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm
I believe there is then a legal obligation for the LEA to start the assessment process or at least formally state why they will not which gives you grounds to proceed further. I’d get this letter written and to them asap (they work during the school holidays)
Like me, she felt that the LEA could not refuse to accept a private diagnosis from a qualified professional. I’m chasing that one up with lawyers where I work (they handle a lot of pro bono cases for the NAS and will be able to advise on the legality of this) I’ll post again when I have the information. Hope this helps, a little. Please let us know how you get on. Dave.